Chair, Student Affairs Committee
|Office Hours:||M 11:00 AM – 2:00 PM
TH 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM &
3:00 – 4:00 PM
- PhD (Social Work), University of Utah, 1995
- MSW, University of Utah,1983
- BS (Psychology), Brigham Young, 1974
Effects of trauma (e.g., child sexual abuse, family violence, terrorism); risk assessment of sexually abusive youth; Clinical practice with sexually abused and sexually abusive children and adolescents and children with sexual behavior problems; Adult sex offender treatment
Lucinda A. Rasmussen, Ph.D., LCSW is an Associate Professor at the School of Social Work at San Diego State University, where she has taught social work practice classes for the past 13 years. She has over 25 years clinical experience in the field of child sexual abuse, with specific expertise in intervening with children and adolescents with questionable or sexually abusive behaviors (and their families). She is a Licensed Clinical Social Worker in California and Utah and recently worked for three years as a therapist treating adult sex offenders who were on probation or parole. Dr. Rasmussen’s research focuses on risk assessment of sexually abusive youth and children with sexual behavior problems, effects of trauma (sexual abuse, domestic violence, and other types of traumatic experiences). She developed the Trauma Outcome Process Assessment (TOPA) model, a practice model for assessing and treating traumatized children, youth and adults. Dr. Rasmussen has published several articles in peer reviewed journals on: the TOPA model, risk assessment and recidivism of sexually abusive youth, and play therapy with sexually abused and sexually abusive children. She has presented her work on the TOPA model at national and international conferences in various cities in the United States and in Israel and Mexico. Dr. Rasmussen has assisted Dr. L.C. Miccio-Fonseca, Clinical Psychologist and Clinical Researcher in the validation research of an innovative risk assessment tool for sexually abusive youth that Dr. Miccio-Fonscea constructed: the Multiplex Empirically Guided Inventory of Ecological Aggregates for Assessing Sexually Abusive Children and Adolescents Ages 19 and Under (MEGA) and is currently Research Associate to Dr. Miccio-Fonseca She has co-authored with Dr. Miccio-Fonseca several peer reviewed publications on the MEGA tool.
- Hughes, M.J., and Rasmussen, L.A. (2010) The utility of Motivational Interviewing in domestic violence shelters: A qualitative exploration. Journal of Aggression, Maltreatment, and Trauma. 19: 300-322.
- Rasmussen, L.A. (2010) A commentary on the Michigan sex offender registration article . Journal of Child Sexual Abuse. 19: 234-237.
- Miccio-Fonseca, L.C., and Rasmussen, L.A. (2010) Dialogue on risk assessment and accuracy of terms: A response to Worling’s (2010) Letter to the Editor. Journal of Aggression, Maltreatment, and Trauma. 19: 247-251.
- Miccio-Fonseca, L.C., and Rasmussen, L.A. (2009) Assessment of sexually abusive youth. In Calder, M. (editors), MEGA: A new tool and approach in the assessment of sexually abusive youth 19 years and younger, males and females. United Kingdom: RHP Publications, 81-107.
- Miccio-Fonseca, L.C., and Rasmussen, L.A. (2009) New nomenclature for sexually abusive youth: Naming and assessing sexually violent and predatory offenders.. Journal of Aggression, Maltreatment, and Trauma. 18: 106-128.
- Rasmussen, L.A., Hughes, M.J., and Murray, C.A. (2008) Applying motivational interviewing in a domestic violence shelter: A pilot study evaluating the training of shelter staff. Journal of Aggression, Maltreatment, and Trauma. 17: 1-22.
- Rasmussen, L.A., and Miccio-Fonseca, L.C. (2007) Paradigm shift: Implementing MEGA, a new tool proposed to define and assess sexually abusive dynamics in youth ages 19 and under. Journal of Child Sexual Abuse. 16(1): 85-106.
- Rasmussen, L.A., and Miccio-Fonseca, L.C. (2007) Empirically guided practice with young people who sexually abuse: A risk factor approach to assessment and treatment. In Children and young people who sexually abuse: Taking the field forward. United Kingdom: RHP Publications, -.
- download vita (pdf)