All MSW II – Advanced Field Practicum Internships for the IBH are pre-approved and selected by the SDSU School of Social Work Field Education Coordinator and the IBH Project Coordinator.
Please consult with the IBH Project Coordinator for detailed agency selection.
- County public mental health agency.
- Community-based organization under contract to a county public mental health agency. If the student is placed in a county contract agency, he/she must intern in the program/unit with which the agency has the contract.
- Agency setting must be providing treatment and/or services to individuals on a voluntary basis. State hospitals, prisons, etc. who are providing services to individuals on an involuntary status are not eligible as MSW II advanced field placement sites.
Academic Year 2016-17: These agencies provide voluntary mental health services and emphasize recovery, wellness and resilience. This list will be finalized in January 2016. See disclosure statement at the end of this page, which explains that internship slot availability depends on various factors. If there is a (?) after the agency name, it means that we are not 100% sure a field instructor will be available AY 2016-17.
Direct Practice Agencies
- Chaldean Middle Eastern Social Services – El Cajon; Arabic-speaking interns preferred
- Changing Options – residential treatment facility for mentally ill adults (Ramona)
- CRF IMPACT Program – Downtown San Diego; ACT team intensive case management for mentally ill clients
- CRF SENIOR IMPACT
- CRF Crisis Houses (START programs – Short Term Acute Residential Treatment) – listed below
- CRF New Vistas, CRF Jary Baretto
- Exodus Recovery Inc. – Vista; Walk in mental health clinic/counseling (North County)?
- HHSA: San Diego County Behavioral Health Services:
- SD County Case Management Services – Central Region and El Cajon?
- SD County Mental Health Clinics – East County Clinic (El Cajon) North- Central Clinic- San Diego
- Mental Health Systems (various programs)?
- Providence Community Services
- Providence Community services – Corner Stone – School based counseling
- Providence – Kick Start – early intervention for transitional age youth with early symptoms of mental illness
- Providence – Catalyst Program (TAY population)
- Rady’s Children’s Hospital Outpatient Psychiatry -Kearny Mesa and Escondido; School based site;
- San Diego Unified Mental Health Resource Center – Riley School for SED children
- Survivors of Torture International (SOTI)
- Telecare Corporation – Gateway & Pathway to Recovery – San Diego; Intensive case management for mentally ill clients – ACT Team model
- Telecare AGEWISE
- UCSD Outpatient Psychiatric Services – Hillcrest
- UCSD Co-Occurring Disorders Program – Hillcrest
- Vista Hill – Smart Care – outpatient clinic & case management
- Vista Hill Merit Academy – youth
Other students, who are not IBH stipend recipients, may also apply to these agencies; they are not “reserved” for IBH students only.
Due to fluctuations in agency resources, intern slots shifting on a daily basis and new agencies joining our program, the school cannot guarantee which intern slots will actually be available at a given time. Amanda Lee, IBH Project Coordinator will have the most updated information available. SDSU SSW cannot ensure a chosen field practicum site where there are a larger number of students applying for a particular agency than there are internship slots offered by the agency.
Note: In-patient psychiatric hospitals are not eligible IBH agencies.
Administration / Community Development Agencies
- 2016-17 Contract – it is unknown at this time, whether Admin/CD students will be eligible to apply for the mental health stipend, if so, the following agencies are eligible:
- HHSA San Diego County Behavioral Health Services
- San Diego Youth Services
- Survivors of Torture International
- Telecare Gateway & Pathway to Recovery – Telecare Age-wise
last updated: 11/24/2015