Prospective applicants should send an email to phdresearchsubstanceuse@
mail.sdsu.edu stating their interest in applying for the program.
Yearly JDP Application Dates & Deadlines
Applications will be accepted starting Oct. 1 each year.
|Last date to initiate application:||December 15|
|File Completion Deadline:||January 12|
Applying to the program is a three-step process. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
1) Submit the CalState Apply Online Application by December 15
- When applying through CalState Apply, please select: “Interdisciplinary Research on Substance Use” as the major.
- An application fee applies.
- A SDSU “RED ID” number will be assigned which allows tracking of application status online.
- Once you have submitted your CalState Apply application, a prompt will be given to continue on to SDSU Decision Desk.
2) Submit Official Test Scores and Official Transcripts to SDSU Graduate Admission by January 12
- Official GRE (and if applicable, TOEFL) test scores must be sent by ETS directly to SDSU (institution code 4682).
- Official transcripts from all colleges attended must be mailed to:
SDSU Graduate Admissions
5500 Campanile Drive
San Diego, CA 92182-7416
3) Submit the SDSU Decision Desk Online Application by January 12
- The application will ask that you upload:
- unofficial copies of bachelor’s and master’s degree transcripts and any transcripts where relevant coursework was taken
- copies of GRE (and if applicable, TOEFL) test scores
- personal statement of your background, research interests/experiences, and professional goals
- a writing sample of a research paper (can include a published paper)
- optional materials, indicated via SDSU Decision Desk prompt (includes, publications, grants, and resume)
- names and email address of three references, who will be invited to complete a recommendation for the student electronically and upload a recommendation letter on official letterhead paper.
last updated: 8/24/2017