The City Heights Master of Social Work (MSW) Scholarship is a collaboration between the SDSU School of Social Work and Price Philanthropies. It was created in response to the growing need to support a bilingual, culturally-responsive social work workforce. This scholarship will provide support services and tuition assistance to two students for two years in the MSW direct practice concentration, who have experience living and/or working in City Heights, qualify for financial assistance, and are passionate about serving the City Heights community.
You may apply for this scholarship between October 1 – December 16, 2019. This is also the general application period for prospective students who plan to enroll for the 2020-21 academic year.
The scholarship will supplement cost of attendance, up to $11,418 per year for two years, for those who qualify for financial assistance. For those who qualify to receive a State University Grant, the City Heights MSW Scholarship will significantly reduce or negate the cost of attendance. Please see below for additional information:
Annual Cost of Attendance (based on CSU estimates)
|1 Academic Year||Fall||Spring||Total|
|Tuition and Fees||$4,461||$4,461||$8,922|
|Estimated cost of housing and food (living off campus)||$2,229||$2,229||$4,458|
|Estimated cost of books and supplies||$957.50||$957.50||$1,915|
|Estimated cost of transportation||$909.50||$909.50||$1,819|
|Estimated cost of personal expenses||$740||$740||$1,480|
|Total Estimated Cost of Attendance||$18,594|
Financial Assistance (based on student living with off campus and Estimated Family Contribution of $0)
|1 Academic Year||Fall||Spring||Total|
|Estimated State University Grant||$3,588||$3,588||$7,176|
|Estimated Price Scholarship||$5,750||$5,750||Up to $11,500|
* CSU tuition estimates may vary slightly from year to year.
To be considered for this scholarship, you must apply separately to:
- San Diego State University (http://www.calstate.edu/apply
- the MSW Program (Interfolio application) AND
- the City Heights Masters in Social Work Scholarship Application
Please check back on October 1, 2019, as links to these applications will be included below.
In the meantime, please click HERE for more details on the application process.
*Note that the GRE is required as part of the application process, as is a Cal State application fee of $55.00. Students applying for admission should electronically submit the university application available at http://www.calstate.edu/apply along with the application fee. All applicants must submit admissions materials separately to SDSU Graduate Admissions and to the School of Social Work.
Eligibility Criteria and Preferred Qualifications
To be considered for this scholarship, candidates must:
- Be accepted for full-time enrollment to the SDSU MSW Program for the 2020-2021 academic year
- Enroll in the 2-year MSW direct practice concentration
- Have experience living and/or working in the City Heights community
- Have a minimum 3.0 undergraduate cumulative GPA
- Have a Bachelor’s degree in social work, psychology, sociology, counseling, or a related field of study
- Demonstrate financial need through the completion of the FAFSA
- Have experience working and/or interning/volunteering in a community setting
- Demonstrate commitment to working in a clinical setting or with children and families
Preferred candidates will:
- Be bilingual and will have demonstrated proficiency in languages such as: Somali, Khmer, Burmese, Vietnamese, Arabic, or Amharic
- Have a demonstrated interest in working with immigrant and refugee populations
- FAQ – Frequently Asked Questions
- Information of the Graduate Record Exam (GRE)
- San Diego Youth Services – GROWS Program: May provide reimbursement for testing / application fees
- Information on Application Fee Waivers from the CSU
For additional information or to ask questions, please contact:
firstname.lastname@example.org or Kellie Scott at (619) 594-0976