The School of Social Work is accredited by the State of California Department of Education to offer the Pupil Personnel Services Credential in School Social Work and the Pupil Personnel Services Credential in Child Welfare and Attendance.
The credentials can be awarded under two conditions:
- As part of the regular MSW program being completed during the second year of coursework. Students would be assigned to a second year SW 750 (Direct Practice / Children, Youth, and Families) advanced field practicum internship in an approved and supervised school placement. In addition, students must take SW 758 (School Social Work) as their fall elective course and SW 798 (Independent Study, 1 unit) as their spring elective course.
- As a Post MSW student through CalState Apply. Social workers who already hold an MS degree may enroll in the School Social Work Specialization program in order to meet eligibility for the PPS Credential as required by the State. Interested professionals must contact the PPS Coordinator and apply for the program. The Post MSW PPS Program requires completion of 12 units: In the FALL: SW758 (3 units) and SW750 (4 units), and in the SPRING: SW750 (4 units) and SW798 (1 unit). The practicum requires the candidate to intern 20 hours per week as a school social worker in selected schools in the San Diego area. The experience needs to be completed on an approved school site, during regular school hours.
A detailed description may be found in the Social Work section of the SDSU Graduate Bulletin. Included are admission requirements, detailed program requirements, and course and electives listings.
PPS Credential Faculty and Course Syllabi
PPS Credential Application Procedure
- Current SDSU MSW students interested in the PPS credentials need only file the regular MSW II, SW 750, Advanced Field Application during February, prior to the fall enrollment. Unless demand is high, current SDSU MSW students will generally be admitted to the credential program. Please contact the PPS Credential Coordinator, Paul Brazzel.
- Post-MSW students – Please follow the application instructions below. Admission is based upon available internship sites. Preference is give to current SDSU MSW students. Official acceptance does not occur until late spring when all current SDSU MSW students have been placed.
Pupil Personnel Services Credential Application Instructions for Post-MSW Students:
The application period for Fall 2021 entry opens on October 1, 2020.
1. Submit the Cal State Apply Online Application by December 15, 2020
- An application fee applies.
- A SDSU “Red ID” number will be assigned which allows tracking of application status.
2. Submit Supplemental Materials to Interfolio by December 15, 2020
3. Submit Official Test Scores and Official Transcripts to SDSU Graduate Admission by December 15, 2020
- Have official GRE (and if applicable, TOEFL) test scores sent by ETS directly to SDSU Graduate Admissions (institution code 4682).
- Mail official transcripts from all colleges attended to SDSU Graduate Admissions (Students who attended SDSU need only submit transcripts for work completed since last attendance):
SDSU Graduate Admissions
5500 Campanile Drive
San Diego, CA 92182-7416