Please meet our new Director of the MSW Admissions, Kellie Scott, and assistant staff, Vivian Rodriguez.
MSW Admission Requirements
- Hold a Bachelor’s degree with a liberal arts foundation from an accredited college or university. Advanced Standing Applicants need to possess an undergraduate degree in Social Work earned within five years of admission.
- Undergraduate GPA of 3.0 in the last 60 units (90 quarter), but not less than a minimum of a 2.85 GPA.
- The GRE will not be required for Fall 2022 for MSW or MSW/MPH applicants. If applicable TOEFL Examination and/or The GRE/ LSAT must be submitted prior to the application deadline in order for your application to be considered.
- Complete SDSU School of Social Work Application form which includes: Supplemental information, Liberal Arts Perspective Form; Personal/Professional Statement; Letters of Recommendation (Advanced Standing Program applicants need a letter from their field instructor and a social work faculty member); Education and Experience; Application Information Certification.
- Verify a minimum of 500 hours of any paid or unpaid (volunteering or internship) work with a diverse, vulnerable population. (Example: hospitals, mental health centers, advocacy programs, universities, training departments, treatment centers, churches, care facilities, social service agencies, non-profit organizations, etc.)
- Complete an undergraduate statistics course.
- Note: Completion of a statistics course is required with a grade of a C or better. Examples would include Stats 119, Stats 250, Soc 201, Psy 280. The course may be taken in the summer but must be completed prior to beginning the MSW program.
- All MSW students will be required to pass a background check for program participation.
Fall MSW Application Deadlines
* MSW/JD admissions is not offered for Fall 2022
|Program||Dual Degree Program Application||Cal State Apply Application||Supplemental Materials to Interfolio||Test Scores/
to SDSU Graduate Admissions
|1, 2, 3 and 4-year MSW programs, and MSW transfer applications||not applicable||Dec. 15||Dec. 15||Dec. 15|
|MSW-MPH Dual Degree||SOPHAS application required by Feb. 15 (Feb. 1 recommended)||Mar. 1||Mar. 1||Mar. 1|
1. Submit the Cal State Apply Online Application (all applicants)
- See the Cal State Apply Application Instructions (docx)
- An application fee applies.
- An SDSU “RED ID” number will be assigned which allows tracking of application status online. (This is different than your Cal State Apply ID, which will be sent via email in 3-7 business days).
2. Submit SOPHAS Application (MSW-MPH applicants only). If not applying to a dual degree program, please skip to step 3
- MSW-MPH Applicants: Follow this link to the SOPHAS instructions on the SDSU School of Public Health page. Applications for the MSW-MPH program are reviewed by both the SDSU School of Social Work and the SDSU School of Public Health.
3. Submit Supplemental Materials to Interfolio (all applicants) using one of the below links. (available after October 1st 2021).
- Social Work (MSW): Direct Practice & Administration and Community Development Application
- Social Work (MSW): Joint Programs Application
- Social Work (MSW): Transfer Students Application
- Please note that the Personal Statement prompt has changed for Fall 2022 admissions. Please respond to all of the reflective questions listed below. Personal statements should be double spaced in 12 pt font, and not exceed 1000 words in length. Your personal statement should be uploaded to your Interfolio Application.
- Please describe the role that power and privilege have played in your life. How does your experience with power and privilege impact your understanding of social justice?
- Reflect on how your past experiences working with and on behalf of diverse and vulnerable populations (individuals, families, groups, and communities) have impacted your understanding of the term social justice.
- As a master’s level social worker, what role do you anticipate playing in promoting social justice, particularly for marginalized and vulnerable populations?
- Make sure to include 3 letters of recommendation as well!
4. Submit Official Test Scores and Official Transcripts to SDSU Graduate Admission (all applicants)
- The GRE will not be required for Fall 2022 for MSW or MSW/MPH applicants. If applicable TOEFL Examination and/or The GRE/ LSAT test scores should be sent by ETS directly to SDSU (institution code 4682).
- Mail or electronically send official transcripts from all colleges attended to SDSU Graduate Admissions (Students who attended SDSU need only submit transcripts for work completed since last attendance):
SDSU Graduate Admissions
5500 Campanile Drive
San Diego, CA 92182-7416
- If you have international coursework, you must have your school send SDSU Graduate Admissions one official original-language copy of all records of academic coursework and proof of degree. For each document you must also send a certified literal English translation, which can come directly from the school itself or from a professional, certified translator. The translation must contain all information shown on the original-language documents. (For details on which documents are required, check http://arweb.sdsu.edu/es/admissions/international/grad/apply/step3.html).